Why use hydraulic bolt tensioning?
At INTEGRA Technologies, everything we do ensures the safety and reliability of the energy infrastructure that serves our society.
Bolted connections remain as one of the critical elements that affect plant integrity and reliability. Without the use of advanced tool technology, bolted connections pose a significant threat of hand injuries and can drastically shift your critical path schedule due to disassembly speed and reliability concerns.
Hydraulic bolt tensioning technology provides the highest level of accuracy, productivity, and safety on critical joints across the energy industry.
As a refresher, here is a quick step-by-step process on how hydraulic bolt tensioning works:
- Assembly of hydraulic bolt tensioners is started by sliding the hydraulic load cell over the stud bolt until it comes in contact with the flange.
- The bolt tensioner’s puller is then threaded down into each load cell until securely in contact with the cylinder piston.
- After each tensioner is connected together via hydraulic hoses, you then apply the specified hydraulic pressure, which actuates the hydraulic load cells and simultaneous places load across the flange by all the interconnected bolt tensioners. In the cutaway picture below, you can see how the hydraulic oil actuates the bolt tensioner and places the axial load on to the bolt.
- Using a tommy bar, you then turn the locking collar on each bolt tensioner to place the nut firmly onto the joint surface. Tool pressure is then released and the bolt tensioning procedure is complete.
But the question remains: why do you want to utilize hydraulic bolt tensioning?
Simply put, it helps ensure your operations are leak-free: saving you time and money, but most importantly keeping your workforce safe.
In order to deliver a leak free bolted assembly, you must apply the correct amount of compressive load to the sealing surface or gasket. Tensioning is the superior method to deliver this load because it’s accurate, fast, and safe.
- It is accurate: because tensioning provides the reliability required by delivering precise bolt loads to the joint
- It is fast: because in contrast to bolt torquing, bolt tensioning can eliminate cross-talk and deliver simultaneous bolt load and gasket compression across the entire joint. Tensioning also drastically reduces the likelihood to gall threaded fasteners, helping you avoid potential delays and rework.
- It is safe: because tensioners are a hands-free technology that minimizes work related accidents.
Since 1986, INTEGRA Technologies has been recognized as the leading expert in bolted joint integrity. We have pioneered the use of hydraulic bolt tensioning services in the Oil & Gas and Power Generation marketplaces across North America and we continue to be at the forefront of the technology today. Contact us to speak to an expert and learn more.
Note: if you would prefer to view this article as a video click here or watch below:
Contact us: 1-800-779-2658
(C) INTEGRA Technologies Limited and INTEGRA Services Technologies, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2017.